Pages

7/14/10

Long week...

This has been one of the longest weeks yet. Not because something bad has happened, so don't get worried. Its because we can actually pick Tripp up without having to ask permission, we can change stinky diapers without waiting for hands on (believe me, you don't want to wait! He's really a "stinker"!); basically we can treat him almost like a normal little baby.  So the whole theory of going a couple of times during the week and on the weekends is no longer working for me. All week I've sat at work and struggled to concentrate and get my work done. This frustrates me because I enjoy my job and being efficient at it. But the main thing that's been on my mind is five o'clock coming around so I can try to get to the hospital.  I'd heard that the beginning was hard because of all the unknowns but that the end was even harder because you can actually start caring for your baby, but working parents miss out on a lot of this. I wasn't quite sure if this was true the first time I saw somebody say it on a board, but I now I believe it.  Thankfully, Tripp has had wonderful nurses that get wrapped around his little finger within a matter of minutes. His nurse yesterday snuggled with him a couple of times during the day because he needed some lovin'. I was so anxious to get there yesterday that the normal 30-45min drive on the interstate only took me 23min.  Yes, I'm well aware I'm lucky I didn't get a ticket but on my behalf there was barely any traffic and I never went above 80mph. I got there right before shift change so I got to see him for about 10 minutes before I had to leave for 30 min. Luckily I had planned my pumping around this so I didn't have to just sit in the lobby and twiddle my thumbs. And by the time I was done, it was time for me to go back in. We had one of Tripp's favorite nurses last night, Ms. Jeanette. She's such a sweet lady.  She gave Tripp a bath and I tried to help a little, but felt like I was more in the way. His hair looked like a little blonde poofball after we dried it. It was funny.  After his bath, I got to dress him in his little sleeper from home. Once again, I was proved wrong. I've always been fine dressing my nieces and nephews and pulling there arms thru the sleeves like it was nothing because I knew it wouldn't hurt them...but was told that it would be different when it was my own.. I looked like I had never dressed a baby before trying to put that thing on Tripp. I swore to Ms. Jeanette that I had done this before and this wasn't my first time. But she just smiled sweetly at me and didn't say a word. After he was all dressed, we made our way to the rocking chair and I got to rock him to sleep as he was getting his feeding. Poor guy was pooped out from the bath and then trying to get dressed. He fought a good fight trying to stay awake but once his tummy started getting full he was out cold.  That's the best feeling in the world being able to rock him and look at the sweet face and not having so say a word. I'm looking forward to spending lots of time in our rocking chair at home.  I would post some pictures but my computer is acting up.. but if you're my friend on facebook you can see some of them on there.

As of today, our little booger is 9wks old, weighs 4lb 1.7oz, and is 16in long.  Sometime tomorrow he'll be moving to the stepdown unit, NICU II.  He'll stay there for the next few weeks until he has his surgery; then we'll end up back in NICU III.  I have mixed emotions about the move. I'm happy he's well enough to move down, but I kinda wish we could stay in our little corner since we're going to end up back here anyways.  But I know in reality, they made need his spot for a baby whose sicker than him so they can get him/her well too.

Please continue to keep us in your prayers and all the other little NICU babies! We appreciate it so much! We love you all! Tripp loves you too! <3


3 comments:

  1. That's great that he can wear his own clothes now :) It is a lot scarier dressing your own baby...So glad he's continuing to get better...I love my rocking chair too..it's the best feeling when they look up at you so sweetly:) Let us know if you need anything or need to talk to anyone

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost cried reading your post. I remember rocking Cooper in the NICU and dreaming about our days at home & thinking I'll rock him anytime I want. :) Glad you're getting to enjoy your baby boy. Hang in there, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cry everytime I read this blog. Because it's so sweet! We are so happy you guys can now hold and snuggle your sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete